Door Handling & Care Guidelines
DOWNLOAD our Handling & Care manual
General Door Handling & Care
- Once your door(s)/unit(s) are delivered, be sure to carefully inspect the entire delivery for any visible defects. (if you find an issue, please contact your Upstate Representative immediately)
- DO NOT drag or slide one door across another door or along any other hard surface that could damage the door.
- Doors should be stored flat (NEVER lean doors against a wall) or on a flat surface that is well ventilated.
- Cover door(s)/unit(s) to help keep them clean, ensuring that they have adequate air-flow to all sides.
- Door(s)/Unit(s) should not be exposed to extreme heat, dryness, humidity and drastic changes in conditions.
- DO NOT store door(s)/unit(s) in direct sunlight.
Preparation for Finishing
- All door(s)/unit(s) should be given a few days between delivery and finishing to acclimate to the relative humidity of the location.
- Door(s)/Unit(s) must be sealed/finished within 24 hours of the product installation (this must fall within the 1 week limitation stated in Upstate Door Inc.'s standard warranty)
- Before applying any type of finishing agent, lightly sand the product with 180 grit sandpaper (always sand in the same direction as the grain direction). Make sure to remove any and all; scuffs, dings, fingerprints, scratches and unevenness of grain (that may have occurred during wood acclimation to the relative humidity of the location).
- Before finishing the door(s)/Unit(s), install the product and then remove the door from the unit (also remove all hardware) in order to properly finish the product as stated in Upstate Door Inc.'s standard warranty.
- If the door(s)/unit(s) have glazing, be sure to apply a generous amount of top coat/finish to bridge between the wood and the glass. If you are painting the product, apply paint with a 1/16" lap onto the glass to provide adequate moisture protection.